Radiator Springs Racing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Online Sim Racing netKar PRO

2 posters

How do you set up a server?

corrado conti
    Driver
    Driver

How do you set up a server? Empty How do you set up a server?

Post by corrado conti Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:00 am

I posted earlier in regard to trying to gather NK pro racers from the US/Canada west coast so that we don;t have to race or at least practice on EU times.

It also occurred to me that the few times I joined NKpro servers, the ping was really high and the gameplay suffered a lot with lag and other problems. So I figure that ideally we would want to set up our own server for the US West coast at least for the nights we would eventually meet. However, I know nothing about it. I am knowledgable about regular web servers and I actually lease a webserver in Texas running Apache, but I figure that NKpro won;t be able to run on it.

Anyway, looks like I can host races from my own PC from inside NKpro. I also downloaded an EXE that is supposed to be a NKpro server but other than that I don;t know how to go about it or even if it would be better to use the RS server instead.

Can anyone give me a simple idea of what is involved and what the requirements are? Can I host races on my PC and also race at the same time? Or should I install NK on another PC on the same network?

My work/play PC is very powerful (Intel i7 980x, 6GB DDR3 ram, liquid cooled, 2 460x nVidia in SLI, etc.) my other PCs are not so bad either, I have a quad core (my old work machine) intel and it was top of the line three years ago.

Anyway, I'd appreciate help and suggestions on how to go about hosting a server for us on the west coast time zone. Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks
    M Carey
    M Carey
    Driver
    Driver

How do you set up a server? Empty Re: How do you set up a server?

Post by M Carey Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:01 pm

corrado conti wrote:Anyway, looks like I can host races from my own PC from inside NKpro. I also downloaded an EXE that is supposed to be a NKpro server but other than that I don;t know how to go about it or even if it would be better to use the RS server instead.
    An exe? I know someone packaged up the server stuff with pre-configured configs.

Starting a server through nKPro's pretty straight forward. If you want people to be able to see & connect to your server you have to open up your router ports though (9500). If you want more control than the nKPro GUI gives you, you can either edit the config files manually or use Juha's software. I dunno if this already includes Jaap's tool (for posting time to the rank). As you can probably tell other people know a lot more about this than me Smile

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 pm