Radiator Springs Racing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Online Sim Racing netKar PRO

+3
Steve Crawnshaw
MikaRaymond
corrado conti
7 posters

NKPro US/Canada West Coast

corrado conti
    Driver
    Driver

server - NKPro US/Canada West Coast Empty NKPro US/Canada West Coast

Post by corrado conti Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:37 am

I absolutely love driving NKpro, but I am getting bored of lapping all the time. In my time zone (USA West Coast or PST) there is never anyone online from 7pm to midnight. At the most I'll find a couple of guys lapping somewhere but nothing serious is going on.

For that reason, I started a thread on racedepartment.com and almost immediately another couple of guys joined in and they too have had the same experience. So that gave me the idea to post on all the forums where NKpro simmers may hang out and redirect everyone to the RD post I made so that we can have, at least for starters, a unique place to meet and discuss the eventuality of getting something going for us West coasters.

Naturally, it is not limited to the US West coast. Canadians, Central time zone drivers are welcome to join in as is anyone that can race or practice in the US pacific time slot.

For now, all I would like to accomplish is to set up a time and day of the week to start getting together and practice. Track and car really dont matter at this stage. Eventually, if more people are interested I wouldn't mind forming a league and/or set up something more formal. But one step at the time.

So far, I posted here http://www.racedepartment.com/netkar-pro/46500-races-california-time-zone.html as well as in a couple of regional forums at iRacing.com and in the semi-official iRacing.com NKpro forum thread (lots of iRacers racing Nkpro, but mostly in Europe as far as I can tell). I also posted at nogripracing.com.

Anyway, if you are interested, go to racedepartment and post. If possible I would like to set up a day next week to meet (january 2011).

One thing I am not sure about is if we should use one of the available servers or if we can set something up in our neck of the woods. The servers I see all have pretty high ping rates, but I have no idea how to setup a server for NKpro. I can do webservers all day, but I never hosted a simracing league. I guess I'll make another post asking about that.

Thanks for reading and please, if you are in our time zone, join us.
    MikaRaymond
    MikaRaymond
    Driver
    Driver

server - NKPro US/Canada West Coast Empty Re: NKPro US/Canada West Coast

Post by MikaRaymond Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:00 am

very good idea. i adore your enthusiasm to bring the game alive overseas Smile dont forget there are a couple of problems. like you have said, the timezone is quite an issue as well as the server / ping. with NKP's current netcode state, itd be quite difficult to have europeans racing with 300ping, unless the server was located in the UK and the US guys would have about 120-150ms, dependant on the location of course
    Steve Crawnshaw
    Driver
    Driver

Post by Steve Crawnshaw Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:46 am

I'm on netkar about five evenings a week for the last month or so and I've seen two other gents from North America. Nobody on this continent owns netkar. It's too bad but it's true. Setting up a server is quite easy. Just click on host server and I'm sure you'll be able to figure out the rest.
    corrado conti
    Driver
    Driver

Post by corrado conti Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:14 am

Thanks guys. I'd hate to think that out of several million people on the US/Canada west coast we couldn't be able to put together 10 racers to have some fun once a week. Everyone in the sim community already knows how good NK pro is. Until now the problem was the too few cars and tracks available but now that excuse just went out the window and with the popularity of FVA NKpro should be able to get a nice boost in sales.

I also know for a fact that a lot of people in my time zone do check the servers but finding them empty leave just like I do. I f I can put the word out that once a week at least a server is going to be there, maybe more of them will show up and stay. I think I am going to start trying starting next week. I'll set up a US/Pacific Server and see what happens.
    M Carey
    M Carey
    Driver
    Driver

Post by M Carey Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:05 pm

MikaRaymond wrote:with NKP's current netcode state, itd be quite difficult to have europeans racing with 300ping, unless the server was located in the UK and the US guys would have about 120-150ms, dependant on the location of course
    When Race2Play were running a championship (with servers in the US) I think all European players had problems. Also it seemed to be with v1.1 final that the number of complaints rose (dunno if it was coincidence or what).
    Jim Michels
    Driver
    Driver

Post by Jim Michels Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:31 am

Thanks Corrado Conti for starting this ... I too live on the US West Coast. I hot lap almost exclusively partly because of my nights and weekends work schedule and partly because of my terrible ping at European servers.
    corrado conti
    Driver
    Driver

server - NKPro US/Canada West Coast Empty NKpro US/Canada

Post by corrado conti Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:37 am

Well, I am glad to see there is interest. I'll bet there are plenty of folks that check out the servers for 5 minutes, see no one on and then go lap by themselves.

I am looking into taking my old computer and have that run the server (I'll have to buy an extra license, but that's not a big deal). I hosted a session on Sunday for about 1/2 hour and it worked well, just for me though. It's be interesting to see how well it will work once there is more people on board. I'd think that running both the server and the game together could be a bit intensive. Although if any computer could do it, mine would.

I think I'll run a test Wednesday night from about 6:30 PST to midnight and see how many people come over. I was even thinking of building a website for us to use and collect more people from the low traffic time zones and see how it developes. It doesn't need to be limited to NKpro either. I also enjoy racing in GTR2, Race on and rFactor. I just installed a FIA GT1 2010 mod for GTR2 that's a lot of fun with the same cars and liveries of the actual 2010 GT1 season. (I heard that it's not completely legal, in fact I had to download it from a Russian server, but it is fun).

Anyway, I'll ponder all these things as we are going along. The immediate scope is to get soemthing going in NKpro for us time zone orphans. The rest we'll play by ear.

Cheers
    Rick Crawford
    Driver
    Driver

server - NKPro US/Canada West Coast Empty Same same

Post by Rick Crawford Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:01 am

I'll Keep an eye out for you guys.I'm In the east(Ohio)But have the same problem.I get home from work and everybody starts leaving

Last edited by Rick Crawford on Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
    Jens Löchel
    Driver
    Driver

Post by Jens Löchel Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:38 pm

@corrado conti
    You don't have to buy an extra license to host a server, just install nkpro with the tracks you like.
    If you want a ranked server install the netKar PRO Rank tool. http://www.wagenvoort.net/rank/download.php
    And for easy serverconfiguration the wonderful nkServertool.http://www.lastplace-racing.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=30&func=select&id=4
    have fun server - NKPro US/Canada West Coast 964932
    corrado conti
    Driver
    Driver

server - NKPro US/Canada West Coast Empty NKpro server

Post by corrado conti Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:47 am

Thanks for the tip. But I was thinking I needed another license to install the server on my other machine while I'd use my main computer to race on it, so that my gaming computer wouldn't have to both host the race and have me drive it. As far as I know that needs an extra license.

However, I am not positive that's necessary (Hosting on one computer while playing on another). I was just thinking out loud in that regard to share duties among 2 machines in the hope it would be more stable.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:48 pm