Radiator Springs Racing

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Online Sim Racing netKar PRO

22 Jul 09: Aviano extended grid

Andrea Lojelo
    Andrea Lojelo
    ---
    ---

22 Jul 09: Aviano extended grid Empty 22 Jul 09: Aviano extended grid

Post by Andrea Lojelo Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:41 pm

It's a long time we are thinking to do this strange test, but we always thought it was not reasonable, but now, apparently we have a really stable server with huge amount of bandwidth (9Mb/s upload), so we decided that maybe time has come: let's do a test race with more than 15 drivers!
    I modified the server configuration on Aviano to host the maximum number of driver possible: 26! 24 will have a cozy and confortable garage, and 2 (drivers 25 and 26) will have outside in the middle of the pit (like in Monaco).

Is this reasonable? who knows! I've tried to do some estimation of the required bandwidth starting from the values on the nK manual, and trying guess the next values accordingly. I don't know how the netcode is implemented, so i tried to fit some curves that matched the given values.
    I've a pessimistic prediction (done manually) and a quadratic equation (10*N^2).
    As I told you it's almost like guessing...but at least give us some hope that this could work!
    22 Jul 09: Aviano extended grid Nkserverrequiredbandwid

We aim to a grid of 20 drivers that according to the pessimistic estimation would need 4500 Kbits/s that is the 50% of the available server upstream bandwidth.
    Then we can try to go up or down trying to reach the server limit that will guarantee a lag free race.

Will this work? Will we have huge lag? will we able to connect to the server with more than 15 drivers on track? will nKPro explode? I really don't know, but at least it's worth a try!

so...we need you to help us in this crazy experiment! Let's hope for the best!

Appointment:
    Wednesday 22 July 21:30.
    Server will be up to do some test before and after, so feel free to join even before.
    F2000 Aviano, no full mode.

Please it's really important that all clients are using proper connections.

22 Jul 09: Aviano extended grid Aviano12

Last edited by Andrea Lojelo on Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Andrea Lojelo
    Andrea Lojelo
    ---
    ---

22 Jul 09: Aviano extended grid Empty Re: 22 Jul 09: Aviano extended grid

Post by Andrea Lojelo Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:23 pm

We finally found out that, as Kunos said, is NOT possible to run with more than 15 drivers.
    This is because he decided to set a limit on the number of grid/box positions when the tracks were designed, and then the nK code had been implemented accordingly.
    He explained that, for example the classification will contain only 15 slots, so the server would crash when more then 15 people would pass the finish line on the first lap!

Yesterday, we managed to have 18 people (I think) on the track in the same moment. Amazing to see a grid so crowded. No blinking cars, no lag, just everything smooth for 1 complete lap, but then, as predicted, the server crashed!

We set the limit to 15 drivers, and we had a lot of races until midnight. All of them with full grid or almost that! No problems at all! Nice, clean, lag free racing!!! not bad at all!
    With a good server, nK works just fine!

thanks everyone that helped us yesterday to do our test!

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:22 pm